Сегодня мы рассмотрим перевод и употребление английских идиом, связанных с домом.
1 They get on like a house in fire. У них прекрасные отношения.
2 Help yourself to tea or coffee – make yourself at home. Чувствуйте себя как дома.
3 Lloyd Webber’s musical brought the house down. Новый мюзикл Эндрю Ллойда Уэббера вызвал бурю оваций.
4 The news report really brought home to me the horrors of the famine. Этот репортаж заставил меня осознать все ужасы голодания.
5 His sarcastic comments really hit home me. Его ирония ранила меня.
6 This shaky old building is actually safe as houses. Этот ветхое, старое здание абсолютно надежно (как скала).
7 No place like home. Нет места лучше дома.
Отработаем на практике:
1 – I was sorry to hear that your cat had died.
– Thank you. When I saw her empty bowl, it really brought home to me the fact that I’d never see her again.
2 – How did the meeting with Andry’s parents go?
– It was brilliant. We all got on like a house on fire.
3 – Hello! Sorry are so late! Our plain was delayed.
– Don’t worry! Just sit down and relax, and make yourself at home! I’ll put the kettle on.
4 – Did you read those excellent reviews in the local paper about the school play ?
– Yes, I did. Apparently, It brought the house down!
5 – I’m not going up there. It looks a bit dangerous!
– Oh, come on! It’s as safe as houses and the view from the top is fantastic!
6 – Why is Terence always so horrible to poor Janine?
– I don’t know. But I could see in her face that his criticism really hit home. Perhaps she’ll finally leave him this time.
Другие примеры идиом